HighOnCity Montréal
BEYOND

Ontario Patient Tested for Rare Ebola Virus

Person tested out of abundance of caution following East Africa travel; Bundibugyo outbreak ongoing in Congo.

· 2 min read · HOC Newsroom

One Ontario resident is being tested for Ebola after recent travel to East Africa, the province's Ministry of Health announced Wednesday. The patient is being screened for a range of infectious diseases, including the virus, "out of an abundance of caution," given their travel history.

The specific destination and Ebola type weren't immediately disclosed. However, the timing aligns with an outbreak of a rare Ebola strain called Bundibugyo spreading across the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. The World Health Organization reports almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, though actual figures are likely much higher.

Bundibugyo Ebola has no approved vaccine or treatment. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain, and internal and external bleeding in advanced stages. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that while global risk is low, the danger is high at regional and national levels in Africa.

Canada has never recorded a case of Ebola virus. The Public Health Agency of Canada says it's aware of approximately 2,300 Canadians registered as being in the DRC and 1,300 in Uganda, though those registrations may be outdated and don't necessarily reflect intent to stay or leave. Global Affairs Canada confirmed it's not aware of any Canadians affected by the current outbreak and said consular officials are "standing ready" to assist those requesting help.

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says the federal government increased travel advisories for eastern Ituri and North Kivu provinces last Friday and is monitoring the situation closely, including watching what border measures allies impose. So far, no formal requests for Canadian assistance have been received from the DRC.