HighOnCity Calgary
NEWS

Water utility overhaul put on hold pending provincial review

Mayor Farkas says Calgary's plans to corporatize its water system are paused until Alberta completes a safety inspection.

· 2 min read · HOC Calgary Desk

Calgary's controversial plan to corporatize its municipal water utility has been temporarily shelved, Mayor Jeromy Farkas announced Friday, pending the outcome of a provincial inspection into the system's operations and safety.

The pause buys time as Alberta conducts what officials describe as a thorough review of Calgary's water infrastructure. The city had been moving forward with proposals that would shift management of the utility—one of Calgary's most critical services—toward a corporate model, a shift that had drawn scrutiny from council and the public alike.

Farkas said the inspection will help determine the system's current state and whether proposed changes make sense. Until the province wraps up its assessment, the City won't proceed with restructuring plans.

For Calgarians, the decision amounts to a reprieve from uncertainty about how their water service would be managed under a new corporate framework. The city's water system has been under increased pressure in recent years due to aging infrastructure and the scale of maintenance required to keep the system reliable.

No timeline has been announced for when the provincial inspection will conclude or when the City will revisit its corporatization plans. In the meantime, the utility continues operating under its current municipal structure.