HighOnCity Toronto
BEYOND

Global Affairs: No Canadians Confirmed in Ebola Outbreak

As an Ebola outbreak spreads in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Global Affairs Canada says it's not aware of any affected Canadians, though thousands are registered in the region.

· 2 min read · HOC Newsroom

Global Affairs Canada confirmed Wednesday that it's not aware of any Canadians directly affected by a rare, fast-spreading Ebola outbreak currently ravaging the Democratic Republic of Congo and spilling into neighboring Uganda.

Thida Ith, a federal agency spokesperson, acknowledged that roughly 2,300 Canadians are officially registered as being in the DRC alone, though those numbers may not reflect current reality. The outbreak has produced over 130 suspected deaths and triggered a WHO emergency declaration earlier this week.

The agency says those registered numbers don't necessarily indicate how many people actually want to leave. Consular officials are prepared to provide assistance to any Canadian who requests it, but Global Affairs isn't currently implementing mass evacuation protocols or emergency repatriation flights.

This is the diplomatic equivalent of cautious optimism mixed with bureaucratic hedging. Yes, Canada has contingencies. Yes, diplomats are monitoring the situation. But there's also implicit acknowledgment that with thousands of Canadians in a region where an epidemic is accelerating, the full picture remains incomplete.

For Torontonians with family or colleagues in the region, the message is clear: contact your people and figure out your own next steps if evacuation becomes necessary.