National 2SLGBTQ+ monument unveiled in Ottawa honours those purged from Canadian civil service
A new cylindrical monument called Thunderhead sparkles with thousands of tiny mirrors — honouring approximately 9,000 people forced out of military, RCMP, and civil service for their sexuality.
The day's top stories, food & events — every morning at 7. Unsubscribe anytime.
A new national monument was officially unveiled in Ottawa on Friday to honour thousands of 2SLGBTQ+ Canadians who were hunted down, harassed, and forced from the military, RCMP, and civil service between the Cold War era and the 1990s.
The monument, called Thunderhead, is a cylindrical shell broken open by a thundercloud. Visible from inside are thousands of tiny mirrors that sparkle with light when no longer hidden — a visual metaphor for the visibility and recognition survivors have long sought.
An estimated 9,000 2SLGBTQ+ Canadians lost their careers based on the prejudiced belief that their sexuality posed a security risk and could be used against them as blackmail by Soviet operatives. Many victims felt shame telling their families why they lost their jobs, and some lost not just their careers but their family connections.
Wayne Davis, 79, from Vancouver, was a staff sergeant in the RCMP when he was confronted by his supervisor after being spotted in a gay bar. "I said, 'I was in a gay bar because I'm gay'", Davis recalled. He felt a moment of relief at no longer having to hide his identity. "I thought it was okay," he said. For RCMP leadership, it was not. Davis was told to quit or be fired and had to pack his things by end of day in 1985. It was a dream career he had envisioned since high school.
Sgt. Robert David Van Norman, a decorated RCMP officer who served in remote communities in Canada's north and worked on the radar defence system to detect Soviet bombers, was forced to resign in 1964 after 17 years in the job he loved. He had been spotted at the Lord Elgin Hotel in Ottawa, a known hangout for gay men. He forfeited his pension and died in poverty at age 60 from AIDS in 1988. His family kept his story secret for years, and the forced resignation caused a rift with his father, who was ashamed and embarrassed.
On June 18, 2018, the Government of Canada agreed to provide compensation to survivors of the purge under a class action settlement agreement ratified by Justice Martine St-Louis in Federal Court. The compensation included both direct payments to individuals and funding for reconciliation and memorialization measures — of which the Thunderhead monument is a part.
By the numbers
How many 2SLGBTQ+ Canadians were forced from the military, RCMP, and civil service?
An estimated 9,000 2SLGBTQ+ Canadians lost their careers between the Cold War era and the 1990s based on the prejudiced belief that their sexuality posed a security risk.
When was the Thunderhead monument officially unveiled?
The Thunderhead monument was officially unveiled in Ottawa on Friday, August 21, 2026.
When did the Government of Canada agree to compensate survivors of the purge?
On June 18, 2018, the Government of Canada agreed to provide compensation to survivors under a class action settlement agreement ratified by Justice Martine St-Louis in Federal Court.