Skip to content
HighOnCity Toronto
BEYOND

Some Canadian premiers quietly questioning Prime Minister's request to drop U.S. alcohol bans

Ontario and B.C. hesitate on restoring U.S. booze sales as trade talks near conclusion; Manitoba's premier encourages boycott.

· 3 min read · HOC Newsroom
Some Canadian premiers quietly questioning Prime Minister's request to drop U.S. alcohol bans
★ FREE NEWSLETTER
Get the best of Greater Toronto in your inbox

The day's top stories, food & events — every morning at 7. Unsubscribe anytime.

Clear cracks have emerged between Canada's premiers and Prime Minister Mark Carney as trade negotiations with the U.S. approach their final hours, with several provincial leaders balking at his request to end retaliatory bans on U.S. alcohol sales at provincial liquor outlets.

On a conference call Wednesday, Carney asked premiers to drop their bans on U.S. alcohol sales at provincial liquor stores even as discussions continued over tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos and lumber. The reception ranged from cool to noncommittal.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who has previously called for tougher "dollar-for-dollar" responses to U.S. tariffs hammering his province's auto industry, has remained completely silent on whether he will comply. The Liquor Control Board of Ontario, which he presides over, normally brings in nearly $1-billion worth of U.S. booze annually — making Ontario's position particularly significant.

B.C. Premier David Eby, who was on vacation with poor cell reception during the Wednesday call, has not indicated whether his province would comply. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew suggested in scrappy comments to reporters Thursday that he would consider the request — which he described as "a step before begging" — but encouraged consumers not to buy U.S. alcohol if it returned to shelves. He said Canada should instead "keep fighting" and that Trump, facing midterm elections in a few months, was "weak."

Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette said she could restore U.S. booze sales only if the deal proved positive for Quebec. Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe suggested the alcohol move was necessary for talks to advance, and Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham said all premiers had agreed to stand down as "a sign of good faith."

Alberta and Saskatchewan ended their bans on U.S. alcohol sales long ago.

Veteran trade lawyer Lawrence Herman, a senior fellow with the C.D. Howe Institute, predicted all premiers would ultimately swallow their pride and restore U.S. booze to shelves. But he said the provinces' bans may have been useful bargaining tools. "If we have gone about as far as we can go on the tariff side, there is not much that can be done by holding out on alcohol," Herman said.

What we asked

What are the final terms of the proposed U.S.-Canada trade deal on tariffs?

Will Ontario Premier Doug Ford formally commit to ending the provincial alcohol ban?

We'll update this story as answers emerge.

By the numbers

How much U.S. alcohol does Ontario normally import annually?

Nearly $1 billion worth of U.S. alcohol is imported annually through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

When did Prime Minister Carney ask premiers to drop their alcohol bans?

On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, Prime Minister Mark Carney asked premiers to end retaliatory bans on U.S. alcohol sales at provincial liquor stores during trade negotiations.